Lecturer in Applied Mathematics and Materials Science jointly based in the departments of Mathematics and Materials at the University of Manchester.
During Semester One of the 2019/20 academic year, my office hour is 10-11 on Mondays.
- Solid mechanics
- Ligaments and tendons
- Biological soft tissues
I am currently teaching on the following units:
- Modelling and Data Tools for Materials Scientists
- Natural Materials and Biological Matrices
- Chang, J. Garva, R., Pickard, A., Yeung, C.-Y.C., Mallikarjun, V., Swift, J., Holmes, D.F., Calverley, B., Lu, Y., Adamson, A., Raymond-Hayling, H., Jensen, O., Shearer, T., Meng, Q.J. and Kadler, K.E. 2020. Circadian control of the secretory pathway maintains collagen homeostasis. Nature Cell Biology 22, 74-86 (DOI).
- Rawson, S.D., Shearer, T., Lowe, T., O'Brien, M., Wong, J.K.F., Margetts, L., Cartmell, S.H. 2018. Four-dimensional imaging of soft tissue and implanted biomaterial mechanics: A barbed suture case study for tendon repair. Appl. Mater. Interfaces 10, 38681-38691 (DOI).
Reprinted with permission from ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2018, 10, 45, 38681-38691. Copyright 2018 American Chemical Society.
- De Pascalis, R., Parnell, W.J., Abrahams, I.D., Shearer, T., Daly, D.M., Grundy, D. 2018. The inflation of viscoelastic balloons and hollow viscera. Proc. R. Soc. A 474, 20180102 (DOI).
- Balbi, V., Shearer, T. and Parnell, W.J. 2018. A modified formulation of quasi-linear viscoelasticity for transversely isotropic materials under finite deformation. Proc. R. Soc. A 474, 20180231 (DOI).
- Craddock, R.J., Hodson, N.W., Ozols, N., Shearer, T., Hoyland, J.A. and Sherratt, M.J. 2018. Extracellular matrix fragmentation in young, healthy cartilaginous tissues. Eur. Cell Mater. 35, 34-53 (DOI).
- Gower, A.L., Shearer, T. and Ciarletta, P. 2017. A new restriction for initially stressed elastic solids. Q. J. Mech. Appl. Math. 70, 455-478 (DOI).
- Shearer, T., Thorpe, C.T. and Screen, H.R.C. 2017. The relative copmpliance of energy-storing tendons may be due to the helical fibril arrangement of their fascicles. J. R. Soc. Interface 14, 20170261 (DOI).
- Allen, H., Cooper, L.J., Delius, G., Gallagher, M.T., Johnson, T.D., Klimm, F., Randisi, F., Shearer, T. and Ziegler, C. 2017. Root segmentation over multiple time points. University of Birmingham Multi-Scale Biology Study Group Report.
- Shearer, T., Bradley, R.S., Hidalgo-Bastida, A., Sherratt, M.J. and Cartmell, S.H. 2016. Three-dimensional visualisation of soft biological structures by X-ray computed micro-tomography. J. Cell Sci. 129, 2483-2492 (DOI).
- Pearce, P. and Shearer, T. 2016. Maths in medicine: How to survive a science fair. Mathematics Today 52, 135-139.
- Balint, R., Lowe, T. and Shearer, T. 2016. Optimal contrast agent staining of ligaments and tendons for X-Ray computed tomography. PLoS ONE 11, e0153552 (DOI).
- Shearer, T., Parnell, W.J. and Abrahams, I.D. 2015. Antiplane wave scattering from a cylindrical cavity in pre-stressed nonlinear elastic media. Proc. R. Soc. A 471, 20150450 (DOI). ERRATA
- Shearer, T. 2015. A new strain energy function for modelling ligaments and tendons whose fascicles have a helical arrangement of fibrils. J. Biomech. 48, 3017–3025 (DOI). ERRATA
- Shearer, T. 2015. A new strain energy function for the hyperelastic modelling of ligaments and tendons based on fascicle microstructure. J. Biomech. 48, 290–297 (DOI). ERRATA
- Shearer, T., Rawson, S., Castro, S.J., Balint, R., Bradley, R.S., Lowe, T., Vila-Comamala, J., Lee, P.D. and Cartmell, S.H. 2014. X-ray computed tomography of the anterior cruciate ligament and patellar tendon. Muscle, Ligaments, Tendons J. 4, 238–244 (DOI).
- Shearer, T., Abrahams, I.D., Parnell, W.J. and Daros, C.H. 2013. Torsional wave propagation in a pre-stressed hyperelastic annular circular cylinder. Q. J. Mech. Appl. Math. 66, 466–487 (DOI).
- Parnell, W.J. and Shearer, T. 2013. Antiplane elastic wave cloaking using metamaterials, homogenization and hyperelasticity. Wave Motion 50, 1140–1152 (DOI).
- Parnell, W.J., Norris, A.N. and Shearer, T. 2012. Employing pre-stress to generate finite cloaks for antiplane elastic waves. Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 171907 (DOI).
- Shearer, T. 2012. Waves in nonlinear elastic media with inhomogeneous pre-stress, PhD Thesis, University of Manchester.
- Lecturer in Applied Mathematics and Materials Science, University of Manchester, 2017–Present.
- EPSRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Manchester, 2014–2017.
- EPSRC Doctoral Prize Fellow, University of Manchester, 2013–2014.
- PhD Applied Mathematics, University of Manchester, 2009–2012. Supervised by Professor David Abrahams and Professor William Parnell.
- BSc. (Hons) Mathematics, University of Manchester, 2006–2009.