North British Semigroups and Applications Network
NBSAN is a network of researchers in Scotland and Northern England with interests in semigroup theory and its applications. It is funded chiefly by a grant from the London Mathematical Society, with additional contributions from host departments and occasionally from other sources. It holds two meetings per year in different locations around the region, plus occasional online activities. The main participant universities are East Anglia, Manchester, St Andrews and York, but our activities are open to all interested researchers. Attendance at all meetings is free. We especially welcome graduate students.
For enquiries about individual meetings, please contact the relevant local organiser as described below. To enquire about the network please contact the central coordinator Nóra Szakács. To join the mailing list please contact Mark Kambites.
The next NBSAN meeting will be held in Manchester on Thursday 20th and Friday 21st June 2024, as a satellite to the 75th British Mathematical Colloquium held between 17th and 20th June. The BMC itself will feature lots of semigroups content, and we expect the conjunction of the two events to attract a significant international semigroups audience for the week.
Semigroups in the BMC Programme. The semigroups content of the BMC will be spread over the duration of the meeting, and will feature:
- Robert D. Gray – morning speaker
- Peter Cameron
- Victoria Gould
- Marianne Johnson
- Stuart Margolis
- Yann Peresse
- Nik Ruškuc
- a number of contributed "speed talks", to be announced shortly.
NBSAN Programme. The NBSAN meeting will take place on the afternoon of Thursday 20th and all day on Friday 21st, with an unofficial social event on Saturday 22nd for those around and interested (see below for more details). The speakers include:
- Thomas Aird
- Igor Dolinka
- Luna Elliot (participation to be confirmed)
- Gracinda Gomes
- Ganna Kudryavtseva
- Tara Macalister Brough
- António Malheiro
- Itamar Stein
- Tim Stokes
- Mária Szendrei
- Jan Philipp Wächter
- Magdalena Wiertel
Timings and Social Events. The BMC runs from 13:00 on Monday to lunchtime on Thursday, with a casual conference dinner (included in the registration fee) on Tuesday evening. NBSAN runs from lunchtime on Thursday until 17:00 on Friday, with a dinner (paid separately) on Thursday evening. On Saturday, for those able to stay, there will be an unofficial social excursion (paid separately, provisionally to Quarry Bank Mill, an industrial heritage site with a working 18th century cotton mill and picturesque gardens).
Registration. Registration for the BMC is now open, and costs £85 until the end of February and £120 thereafter. The NBSAN meeting is free to attend, but for planning purposes we ask you to register using this form.
Contact/queries. For questions about the NBSAN meeting and the semigroups content of the BMC please email Marianne Johnson. (For general queries about the BMC please see the BMC website or email firstname.lastname@example.org.)
To receive announcements about future meetings, please email Mark Kambites and request to be added to the NBSAN mailing list.
For the archive of information about past meetings look here.
Other (non-NBSAN) Events and Semigroup News
- A one-day meeting on Decidability in Logic and Algebra will take place at the University of East Anglia in Norwich, on 26th March 2024.
- A UK Operator Algebras Conference, to be held in Newcastle from 12th-14th June 2024, will include some content at the interface of semigroup theory and functional analysis.
- The 75th British Mathematical Colloquium, to be held in Manchester in the week commencing 17th June 2024, will feature lots of relevant activity, including a special session dedicated to semigroups.
- There is a conference on Semigroups, Groupoids and C*-algebras in Seoul, South Korea from 1st-5th July 2024.
- A conference on Theoretical and Computational Algebra, including lots of semigroups, will take place in Aveiro, Portugal from 30th June - 5th July 2024.