MATH10202 Linear Algebra A (2019-20)
This course unit is an introduction to linear algebra for first year, single honours mathematics students. This is the page for the first half of the course, which is lectured by Mark Kambites. Lectures for the second half of the course will be given by Charles Eaton. Charles's material is available here.
COVID-19 Information: the course is currently being taught online due to the campus closure. Please check your University email and Charles's page regularly for updates. Further information:
Strike Information: due to the UCU industrial action, material between Sections 5.4 and 6.2 of the notes was not covered in lectures. This material remains examinable, and students are advised to learn it independently from the notes. Please see also Charles's webpage for strike information concerning his part of the course.
Course MaterialsPlease let me know if you need materials in a different format because of a disability.
- Notes (with gaps to complete in lectures):
- Chapter 1 (Matrices)
- Chapter 2 (Systems of Linear Equations)
- Chapter 3 (Fields, Elementary Matrices & Calculating Inverses)
- Chapter 4 (Determinants)
- Chapter 5 (Vectors, Eigenvalues & Subspaces)
- Chapter 6 (Orthogonality)
- Complete Notes for Mark's part of the course
- Information to help fill in the gaps
- Story So Far: the lectures for Mark's part of the course have now finished.
- Exercises: Sheet 0 - Sheet 1 - Sheet 2 - Sheet 3 - Sheet 4 - Sheet 5 (and that's all for Mark's half of the course)
- Solutions: Sheet 0 - Sheet 1 - Sheet 2 - Sheet 3 - Sheet 4 - Sheet 5
Additional Materials. The notes are self-contained so you should not need a textbook, but if you want an alternative viewpoint or more exercises, good sources are....
- Linear Algebra by R. B. J. T. Allenby
- Elementary Linear Algebra by H. Anton