MATH20621 Programming with Python

General information

This course is taught by Dr. Stefan Güttel. My office hour is Tuesday 15–16 in ATB 2.114.

The teaching times are as follows: This is a 10 credit course.

Lab classes and tests

You will only need to attend one of the four lab classes on Tuesday or Thursday. Please check your personal timetable to find out which class you should attend. Note that the capactity of the computing cluster is limited and hence you cannot attend another class than the indicated one.

Tests: There will be 4 one-hour tests, each with 2 functions to be written (so 8 problems in total). These tests take place during the lab classes in weeks 4, 5, 7, 9 of the semester. In week 3 we will have a mock test. The first marked test will be in week 4. The results of the 6 best problems count 30% towards the final mark. The remaining 70% are coursework.

Coursework

Access the coursework here. All relevant information is given in this document.
You may also download the connect4_firstname_lastname.py template and a example game.txt file.
Download a sheet with some basic checks for the module.
The strict deadline for submission via Blackboard is Thursday, 12th of December 2019, at 21:00.

The coursework is assessed in multiple ways, including manual testing, unit testing, and also plagiarism checks.

Feedback sessions are offered in the week before submission (week 11). They take place in the usual lab class times in the ATB and the Humanities computing clusters. Attendance to these sessions is voluntary. The purpose is to answer students' questions on the coursework description and outputs of their Python programs. No comments can be made on the code itself nor will debugging be performed.

Course materials

Week 1: Introduction

Week 2: Loops and conditionals

Week 3: Functions

Week 4: Lists

Week 5: Strings

Week 6: Control flow

Week 7: File I/O

Week 8: Modules

Week 9: Data analysis

Week 10: No lab classes/lectures

Week 11: Consultation

Week 12: No lab classes/lectures


Further material