Reader, Director MSc Aerospace Engg
Professor of Computational Mathematics,
School of Mechanical, Aerospace &
University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL
Tel: +44 (0) 161 306 3707
Fax: +44 (0) 161 306 3723
Preparatory Boarding School (Fizmatshkola) of Novosibirsk State University (1977);
BSc, MSc (with 1st class) at Moscow Institute of Physics & Technology “PhysTech” (State University) -MIPT (1977-1983); Ph.D. student (MIPT) (1983-1986);
Life-time Professor in Computational Mathematics (since 1999, Russian Ministry of Education);
Senior scientist (MIPT) (1986-1988); Assistant Professor (MIPT) (1989-1992); Associate Professor (MIPT) (1992-1998); Full Professor (MIPT) (1998-2004 );
Visiting Professor (UMIST, 2001-2004); Senior Research Fellow (Cranfield University, 2004-2005); Senior Research Fellow (University of Manchester, since 2005; permanent position since 2006)
Ph.D. thesis in 1986, DSc (Habilitation) thesis in 1997.
Experience of work with industrial companies:
heat transfer in boundary layers with account of chemical reactions and turbulence;
numerical simulation of gas flows into an induction plasmatron (both low Mach number and supersonic flows);
EU FP7 project on turbulence modelling in Aerospace applications
“VIVACE” EU Project: (2004-2005)
ALSTOM Ltd: (consultant, 2002 - 2015) near-wall turbulence modeling, multiobjective optimization, active sound control.
EDF (2011 – 2015) near-wall turbulence modelling; crack detection before leakage.
EPSRC CDT sponsored PhD studentship
Leading Scientists International Grant by Russian Government (“Mega-grants”) to attract world-class researchers to collaboration with top Russian Universities (prolonged in 2014)
EDF/EPSRC sponsored EnD studentship
EDF/EPSRC sponsored PhD studentship
Most Successful 2008 IMACSPaper Award
EPSRC grant, Co-investigator & Recognized Researcher GR/T26832/01 (Active Noise Shielding)
Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and Applications (FIMA)
Lifetime Professorship in Computational Mathematics.
Award of the Russian Supreme Qualification Committee (Ministry of Education)
INTAS/RFBR 95-1329 (team leader), INTAS-ESA 99-01473 (team leader)
Young Researcher First Prize Winner, Moscow Institute of Physics & Technology, Russia
Reviewer: INTAS; Royal Society; EPSRS; the Leverhulme Trust; Springer; BSF; SIAM J. Applied Mathematics; J. Computational Physics; Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society; JASA; Int. J. for Numerical Methods in Fluids; Int. J. Mechanical Engineering Sciences; European J. Mechanics-B/Fluids; Int. J. Heat & Mass Transfer; Int. J. for Numerical Methods in Engineering; J. Applied Acoustics; J. Applied Mathematics; Int. J. Computers & Fluids; ASME J. Fluids Engineering; J. Engineering Optimization; J. of Mathematical & Computer Modelling; AIAA J. Thermophysics & Heat Transfer; J. of Vibration and Acoustics; J. of Sound and Vibration; J. Wave Motion; J. Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical; European J. Operational Research; AIAA J. Aircraft; Computers and Mathematics with Applications; Computer Methods in Applied Mathematics and Engineering; Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization; American Mathematical Society; J. Computational Mathematics & Mathematical Physics.
30-year experience covers such fields as Computational Mathematics, Numerical Methods of Mathematical Physics, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Mechanics of Continuous Medium, Gas Dynamics, Programming (Fortran, C), Engineering Optimization, Hypersonic Flows, Physical Gas Dynamics.
13 students have received Ph.D under my supervision:
1. Yamaleev, N.K., “Numerical Simulation of 3D Supersonic Viscous Flows over Bodies under Small Angle of Attack”, MIPT, 1992.
2. Meshcheryakov, M.V., “Numerical Modelling Two-Dimensional Problems of Explosions and Convection”, MIPT, 1993.
3. Muzafarov, I.F., “Application of Compact Pade Schemes for Numerical Simulation of Unsteady Viscous Flows”, MIPT, 1994.
4. Konyukhov, A.V., “Numerical Modelling of High Temperature Flows in the Stratified Atmosphere”, MIPT, 1995.
5. Nabiev, V.U., “Numerical Modelling Flight of a Body through Inhomogeneous Regions in the Atmosphere”, MIPT, 1998.
6. Rudenko, D.V., “Numerical Algorithms Based on Dynamic Adaptive Grids for Solving 3D Nonstationary Gas Dynamics Equations”, MIPT, 2001.
7. Erfani, T., “An Efficient Analysis of Pareto Optimal Solutions in Multi-Disciplinary Design”, Manchester University, 2011.
8. Ntumy, E., “Active Sound Control in 3D Bounded Regions”, Manchester University, 2014.
9. Russant, S., “A-Posteriori Error Estimation Using Higher Moments in Computational Fluid Dynamics”, Manchester University, 2015.
10. Woodward, W.H., “On the Application of the Method of Difference Potentials to Linear Elastic Fracture Mechanics”, Manchester University, 2015.
11. Jones, A., “Development of a Near-wall Domain Decomposition Method for Turbulent Flows”, Manchester University, 2016.
12. Petrov, M.N., “Modelling seismic waves caused by a meteorite impact”, MIPT, 2016.
13. Izzati, N.J., “An efficient ranking analysis in multicriteria decision making”, Manchester University, 2017.
Total number more than 100 peer-review journal papers.
Co-author of one book
“Hypersonic Aerodynamics and Heat Transfer” (Begell House, NY, ISBN: 978-1-56700-309-3, 2014, with G.A. Tirskiy)
and two textbooks (in Russian):
"Lectures in Gas Dynamics" (1991, MIPT; with V. Chshennikov, and V. Ivanov)
"Fundamentals of Computational Mathematics"
(Editions: 1994, MIPT; 1997, ROSNIIIS; 2001, MZ-Press; 2003, MZ-Press; with I. Petrov, V. Ryaben’kii et al.)
Hobby: History (books, films), fish lining, sport: chess, jogging, gym, table tennis.